Greek English
Home Page / Churches/Chapels / Church of Agios Mamas
Print this page
Church of Agios Mamas

The main church of the village is dedicated to Agios Mamas. At the beginning of the 20th century and more specifically in 1918, Jeffery “mentions a small church in the area of the village which is dedicated to Agios Mamas”. Unfortunately, this church caught fire in the summer of 1998 and it was completely destroyed.    

The church of Agios Mamas has recently been completely restored. It is a small and modest chapel with a ridge roof and wooden windows and doors. Externally, the church is lined with stone. The Church Tower is detached and it is built in the yard of the church, next to a lofty cypress. The interior of the church is adorned by a wooden chancel.

Also dedicated to Agios Mamas is a small icon stand bearing an icon of the Saint in a central spot, in the main road which leads from Xyliatos to Lagoudera.

Sources:

Xyliatos Community Council

Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia

Multimedia
videoBanner VIDEO
album banner PHOTO ALBUM
3d banner 3D TOUR
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc